Many people find visualizations extremely helpful for quickly identifying and distinguishing a set of data. I’m no exception! As a longtime Microsoft Dynamics CRM user, I definitely prefer seeing images or icons representing data instead of text or numerical values.
Which brings me to exciting news! Microsoft is making my data visualization dreams come true with the ability to display custom icons and tooltips in Microsoft Dynamics 365!
In this blog post, I’ll give you step-by-step instructions detailing how to take advantage of custom icons and tooltips. I’ll walk you through an example, showing you how to set-up icons and tooltips for the out-of-the-box Gender (gendercode) field in the Contact entity of the My Active Contacts View.
Setting Up Custom Icons and Tooltips
These step-by-step instructions demonstrate how to create custom icons and tooltips for the Gender Field in the My Active Contacts view.
1. Create two (16 x 16 pixel) square image and add these as web resources. One for the Female option value and one for the Male option value.
3. Then, open the My Active Contacts view and select the Gender column. Then select Change Properties.
5. To complete, save the view and publish the customization.
6. Go back to the My Active Contacts view to see your new custom Gender icons.
And Voila! There you have it. It’s now extremely easy and quick to visually identify the gender of each contact record.
Note: This code will also work for other Two Option (Boolean) Field Types.
Considerations Before You Start
There are a few things to take into account before diving in:
- This only works on a standard grid. It does not work on the newly introduced Editable Grid.
- Icons can only be displayed on the Web Interface. The Outlook and Mobile Apps will not display the icon.
- Tooltips can be defined for multiple languages/locale ID (LCID). In this example, I’ve set Canadian English (LCID 4105) as the default and included Canadian French (LCID 3084) as the alternative. More Locale ID values can be found here.
Had fun with Tooltips & Custom Icons in CRM?
Check out other popular Dynamics CRM How-To Blogs: